Millions of people use Twitter on a day to day basis. It has come to be one of the most used ways today that people communicate to one another. Also know as microblogging, companies use twitter as a way to get messages out to their targeted audiences in 140 characters or less. Using Twitter as part of their marketing efforts is an easy, quick way for companies today to advertise their products for no money at all.
The goal of using Twitter for companies is to get messages out to you audience while also building relationships with those people. Because of the character limit on your tweets you are able to tweet messages many times in one day with out overloading your followers with too much information all at once. Twitter also allows you to target your audience by using hashtags(#) and typing in keywords. That way when a customers is looking for posts on social media, they can type in #socialmedia and if that hashtag is included in your post, it will show up for them to find.
If people like the information you provide then they have the option to follow you. Once someone is following you, each time you post something new, it will show up in their news feed. Also if there is a tweet that gives important information, you can retweet it so more people will be able to see it. The average Twitter user has 126 followers, so each time your message is retweeted, 126 more people on average will see the message each time it is retweeted. Twitter is an excellent tool that will help to get word out about any new company information.
Above your Twitter timeline, which is the news feed of posts from the people you follow, you will also have an @Mentions link which will show you the post that include your company Twitter name. This allows you to always see what it is people are saying about your company whether it is good or bad. Many companies have used Twitter as their source of customer service. It allows customers to tell the company what problems they are having, and since Twitter messages are received in real-time, the company can instantly talk with that person to help them fix their problem.
Tweeting messages can be accessed through the Twitter website using any mobile device or just a regular computer. Only 20% of traffic comes straight through the Twitter website. The other 80% of traffic generally comes from third party programs from users using smartphones or other mobile devices. Today there are over 200 million Twitter accounts and just recently CEO Dick Costolo revealed that over 100 million of those accounts are active on a daily basis. Half of those active Twitter accounts log in daily and the other 40% have not tweeted for about one month. The team of Twitter defines active users as people who log in at least once a month.
When you use Twitter to run a campaign, or to promote your business it is important to remember to daily tweet at least 2 or three messages. Your efforts may not be instant, but the more you work on it the more people will start to follow you. Then once you have a good set of followers, more people will receive your messages allowing many of your tweets to go viral.